Magento is an open-source e-commerce platform originally developed by Varien Inc., (a US company with headquarters in California) in 2007 and was first released in 2008. In may 2018, Magento was acquired by Adobe Inc for USD 1.68 billion and is now known as Adobe Commerce. (It is still widely referred to as Magento, hence we will use the same for ease).
At the end of 2022, Magento powered about 9% of e-commerce sites on the internet (~300.000 online stores developed in Magento) including famous brands like Nike, H&M, UNIQLO, Ford, Coca-Cola, etc. This rate is ranked 3rd, below two of the largest e-commerce platforms on the market WooCommerce (26%) and Shopify (21%).
Let’s discover 10 advantages that make Magento your best choice as an E-commerce platform to develop your online store:
1. World-class e-commerce platform
Magento is one of the leading e-Commerce platforms backed by Adobe, offering a variety of features such as shopping carts, catalog management, Customer Accounts, Order Management, Payment & Shipping, etc. It has many advantages that make it suitable for building an extremely effective and secure online eCommerce store.
Some facts and figures about Magento (as of the end of 2022):
- Magento platform code has been downloaded more than 2.5 million times.
- Magento remained one of the ten most popular eCommerce platforms in 2022.
- There are more than 3500 Magento extensions available on the Marketplace.
- Magento handles $155 billion in transactions every year.
- More than 3,00,000 developers worldwide.
- Magento was acquired by Adobe for $1.68 billion.
2. Mature technology stack, open source, and great community:
Magento is open source, developed based on PHP – the most used server-side programing language that power ¾ of websites on the internet and has a great developers community. This means there are always tons of ready Magento developers out there that you can hire to modify the source code and add features and functionality by installing and/or creating add-ons and plug-ins for your e-commerce website whenever you need.
Besides, the technology stack behind Magento is also very general, opensource, and mature, which means:
- Magento’s technology is proven and has highly guaranteed stabilization, security, and reliability.
- It’s much easier to integrate with other systems.
- It saves the cost of operations and maintenance.
|MAGENTO 2||MAGENTO 1|
|Apache 2.2/2.4||Apache 2.x|
|Nginx 1.7 or greater|
|PHP 5.6.x/7.0.2/7.0.6||PHP 5.2.x – 5.5.x|
|MySQL/MySQL Percona 5.6.x or greater||MySQL|
|Redis 2.x/3.x or Memcached 1.4.x|
|Solr 4.x||Solr (Only for EE)|
|JQuery||JQuery (In latest themes)|
|Zend Framework 1/2||Zend Framework 1|
|PSR – 0/1/2/3/4|
With the robust technology stack and software architecture, you can scale your Magento website into whatever you need it to be, whether it is a simple online catalog, a small online store, or a very large multi-stores or multi-vendor e-commerce business. Below are some of Magento features that help Magento more scalable:
- Multi-store, and multi-site support.
- Powerful roles and permissions system.
- Performance-enhancing features such as indexing, full-page caching, etc.
- Limitless Customizing and Extending capability with a powerful modular architecture, APIs, and development tools.
- Easy Database Maintenance.
4. Mobile-Optimized Commerce platform:
Almost 60% of e-Commerce customers prefer mobile phones to purchase online so It’s essential for all e-commerce stores to be mobile-friendly.
Magento comes equipped with a responsive design that automatically adjusts your store’s layout, plus drag & drop, swiping, zooming, and multi-touch option to provide an optimal experience for mobile users.
Specialized Mobile Apps.
Magento also offers a separate set of tools specifically for creating a unique mobile app for your store. With Magento, you can be sure that your e-commerce store will provide a great user experience no matter what device your customers are using.
Some examples of mobile app ideas for your Magento E-commerce website:
- A unique mobile app for online purchasers for better-personalize buying experience, increasing customers’ retention rate, etc.
- A specialized mobile app for inventory managers to manage inventory and order fulfillment separates from the mobile app for store-front or sales managers to manage sales and customer support, etc.
5. Search Engine Optimization
Gaining traffic through search engines is one of the most effective ways to gain a return on your investment. Magento supports SEO by allowing Magento webmasters to manage On-page SEO factors to meet Google SEO guidelines like SEO-friendly URLs, links, content tags, meta tags, sitemaps, etc.
Security is one of the primary concerns for all e-commerce store owners. In essence, the customer information amassed by even small e-commerce stores is often worth a lot to criminals.
Magento is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms that provides built-in security features that assist in reducing security hazards such as data leaks, information theft, unlawful transactions, and other malware attacks
The best advantage of using Magento for e-commerce stores is the out-of-the-box security of the platform. Unlike many other platforms where security is an add-on, for Magento, security is built right into its core.
Magento is highly secure for both B2B and B2C e-commerce models by keeping all the sensitive information safe from attackers, who try to access the entire database of the site. Magento is in accordance with current PCI DSS (The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) standards and is always updated with the latest security patches to keep your website secure. Some of these features include two-factor authentication, password strength management, and an admin action log.
7. Multiple Payment and Shipping Options
Multiple Payment and Shipping Options are very important to any e-commerce website. Many customers will abandon a purchase if they are not able to pay in their preferred way or choose their flavored shipping method. Offering a range of payment and shipping methods can reduce friction at the checkout process and encourages the customer to complete their transaction, reducing cart abandonment, and increasing your conversion rate and revenue.
- Payment options: The Magento platform employs integration with all leading payment gateways, like PayPal, Stripe, 2Checkout, Authorize.net, Amazon Pay, etc. so that you can strengthen your e-commerce presence tenfold.
- Shipping methods: Magento supports multiple shipping methods including Flat Rate, Free Shipping, and Table Rates, and integration with all leading shipping carriers such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, and DHL.
8. Third-Party Services Integration
Magento allows you to easily integrate any 3rd party services and/or applications into your e-commerce web application to extend functionality and capability for your online stores, such as ERP, CRM, PIM, marketing automation, payment gateways, shipping providers, tag management tools, social media integration, third-party discounts and promotions services, marketplaces services like eBay or Amazon, POS apps, etc.
9. Analytics and Reporting
With Magento, you can easily integrate tools such as Google Analytics, to help you keep track of your customers online and market to them effectively. More advance, Magento’s reporting, and visualizations features will help you tailor any view of your e-commerce business in one place for making better decisions such as Sales reports, Marketing reports, Products & Inventory reports, Tax reports, Abandoned shopping cart reports, Best viewed products reports, Best purchased products reports, Low stock reports, Search terms reports, Product reviews reports, Coupon usage reports, etc.
10. Ease of management
Magento can help you manage multiple stores from one admin panel, saving you a lot of time and effort when managing your online sales. It also has multi-language and multi-currency features, as well as international support.
11. Omnichannel Selling
Omnichannel selling is a multi-channel way to marketing & sales. It offers consistent branding on many devices and touchpoints where customers interact with your store via any channel including social media, websites & mobile apps.
Magento highly supports omnichannel selling. You can optimize the channels for potential customers. Some of the Magento’s native features that support Omnichannel include:
- Headless e-commerce
- Progressive Web Apps (PWAs)
- Business Intelligence to track KPIs
- Personalize channels
- Promote brands on many channels
- Search engine optimization ready.
- Buy Online, Pick-up in Store (BOPIS) system
- Different sales channel integration.
Magento helps customize your storefronts. You also get a centralized global inventory.
That means your products are tracked from many channels. It helps manage source items & fulfillment efficiently.
12. Integrated B2B E-commerce features
Magento E-Commerce platform makes your B2B commerce business seamless and efficient. The native B2B functions make it easier to manage daily operations and you do not have to invest in external B2B systems.
- You can create B2B stores and add many buyer’s accounts.
- Create catalogs & pricing that are specific to your target B2B market.
- Quick request for a quote & analysis of saved shopping carts/purchase orders.
Some primary B2B features include:
- Create accounts with many buyers
- Buyer roles & permissions
- Orders & invoice tracking
- Order approval process
- Buyers’ quick re-ordering & order forms
- Personalized catalogs
- B2B selling’s mobile optimized sites
- Online chat support.
* For your reference: With dozens of in-house Senior Magento Developers, Luvina Software provides and delivers a comprehensive catalog of Magento E-commerce website development services, including strategy, analysis, design, implementations (developments), integrations, migrations, and upgrades as well as operation, maintenance, and technical support. If you need consultation, please check out: